Thursday, December 4, 2008

IT 100 - My Experience

This semester I had to take IT100, and there were many new things that I had learned, and a few that I have already known; I also felt that I didn’t really need the course, but I found out that I didn’t know too much about computer security or about computer fundamentals like what a mother board is and its functions. For example in excel I knew how to do the sum of cells, but I didn’t know how to do an IF formula. And though I knew how to do many of the things that we learned using the Microsoft Word 2003, I was confused about how to perform these actions on the newer Microsoft 2007. Microsoft 2007 now has ribbons in their programs which make performing many actions much easier to do.
The thing I liked the most about this class is Microsoft Excel and Access because I feel that as a business major these two programs will be the most useful to me. I was not a big fan of assignments such as creating a blog or the Jing project because I feel that they will not be very useful to me even though they may help other people. Another topic covered that I feel is unneeded it learning about the Library. Yes a quick overview of what the library has to offer is helpful, but I feel that we spent too much time on the subject. What I would like to have learned more of in the class is Microsoft PowerPoint. Though it may not be professional, PowerPoint has many actions it can perform such as adding animations, buttons, and sounds, which I feel can help keep the attention of an audience viewing the slideshow.
Since IT is a class about technology and computers, it makes sense for it to be a hybrid course. Going to class two times a week would just waste time in my view. I would rather have more work and less class time in this course because I feel that it is a subject where you can teach yourself many of the things you learn just by using the book.

No comments: